[Gllug] HTML editors

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 00:08:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Bruce Richardson yowled:
> This is why there is no one true editor.  Though greater familiarity with
> the  Vi/Vim navigation/selection keys might change your mind, you never
> know.  The thing with Vim is to be daring: you can combine movement
> commands with formatting commands to swoop across your document.

This is yet *another* reason why, even for small edits, I'll generally
not touch vi. With vi, you never dare touch keys you don't already know
the purpose of, because the impoverished undo means that if damage is
done you might never recover.

In vim, all this is fixed. (Assuming `nocompatible', of course.)

I wonder if I should write a vim-mode for Emacs? ;) ;) ;)

(... then challenge the vim-heads to write an Emacs emulator for vim. Of
course this wouldn't end the holy wars but make them more intense...)

>> I do occasionally find myself trying to do :wq though when using some MS
>> editor.
>
> Hah!  You are marked for life.  It is only a matter of time before you
> yield to the dark side.

Hey, I'm worse off. I've sometimes lost stuff through doing `C-a
typesometext' in Word or something --- where, of course, C-a marks the
entire document (!!!) instead of going to the start of the line as God
and Steele intended :(

>> I am using mutt at home but I don't think its power comes from being
>> text-based - I think a X version of it could work just as well as be
>> just as powerful.
>
> For me that would only be true if the keyboard interface remained as
> all-powerful and I have never yet seen a GUI app that manages that.

gvim, emacs, or xemacs ;) ;) the Emacsen can be graphical and
non-graphical at the same time (in the same process), through the magic
of gnuattach/gnuclient...

> Besides, I prefer the text display of Mutt/Vim to any GUI mail client.

Likewise me and Gnus.

> It's a matter of personal taste.  Mine has become ever more austere.  I
> hate anything that makes me reach for the mouse or a function key unless
> absolutely necessary.

I have nothing bound to any function keys at all. They're too far away
to reach.

>                        I use a text mail client, a text news client, a
> text web browser and window managers that are designed expressly to be
> keyboard controlled.

Likewise. I'm considering switching to Sawfish so I can control *it*
from Emacs --- and for direction.jl (window-focus-by-direction, removing
my only remaining use for mice outside of the WWW)...

--
`Mmm... Maybe I just like strong women that can hurt me?'
     --- Vadik, on female throat-cutting doctors

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk