[Gllug] DNS services needed

Jim Cheetham jim.gllug at gonzul.org
Fri Dec 21 17:07:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 04:46:26PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> the people that provide my DNS primary for my domain (phcomp.co.uk) are about to close.
> I have never had to worry about this aspect of things as it has been done for me - 'till now.
> All that (I think that) I want is someone to act as a tag holder so that I can control my domain.
> I don't want them to do anything: all DNS changes I will handle myself.

That sounds like two separate problems ... the holding of the tag is
unrelated to the provision of a DNS server.

Ths IPS tag exists to make _changes_ to your domain easy via Nominet.
If you don't need to make changes (i.e. you have already identified
a stable set of DNS servers) then you don't have to have a tag. Future
changes will be difficult (i.e. non-automated, full letterhead, faxes
and so on), however.

Sounds like you need to identify someone to run yur primary DNS. If that
someone were a company, then they will probably have a tag of their own,
and all you face is a simple transfer. If that someone were an individual
hacker somewhere, then you need to get the current tag holder to make
the change in DNS records, then de-tag the domain. In that order, of course.

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk