[Gllug] Video Editing in Linux

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 10:19:11 UTC 2001

> At present, I do the majority of my digital video editing
> under Windows
> XP with Adobe Premiere 6.0 and Cleaner 5 for producing the streaming
> final version of my "film".  I want to do away with this, and
> use Linux
> for all steps of the process of getting the footage into the machine
> through firewire, editing and outputting the footage (and preferably
> optimising it for streaming use - RealPlayer or Quicktime).
>
> I have seen some mention of various products all over the web
> and Usenet
> discussion groups, but I'd like to know if anybody out there is active
> video editing under Linux and can recommend software.

I looked into this a few months ago and a problem I came across was
support for ieee1394/firewire.
The early 2.4 kernels had support for it which I managed to get working,
but I think at about 2.4.6 onwards it was broken - I guess people were
developing it.

I'm not sure if it's fixed again in later kernel versions (anyone tried
it?), if so I might have another try.

Though you could always capture under Windows then edit in Linux I
suppose.

The free digital video software I looked at was still fairly basic - the
most advanced was Broadcast2000 (
http://www.heroinewarrior.com/bcast2000.php3 ) but the people who do it
have pulled it due to worries about their legal liability or something.
Though you could probably still get it from somewhere. I couldn't
actually get this working properly but this may have been due to me
using a slow processor at the time.

I did manage to get firewire video capture working using a 2.4.3 kernel
with "dvgrab" and "Kino".
Another useful utility is "scanbus" which tells you what's plugged in to
your firewire ports.

I think a lot of the problems are due to proprietary interfaces/file
formats etc. which are having to be reverse engineered.

I think there must be commercial digital video editing software that
works under Linux e.g. Avid but I expect it's prohibitively expensive.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk