[Gllug] LCN Dec

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Tue Dec 4 16:55:38 UTC 2001

Welcome to the London Community News.
Details are for the month of December 2001.

Due to this being the month of December some of the groups are still
looking around and planning venues so keep and eye on the home pages if a
group is mentioned with no meeting date.

The User Groups:
-----------------------------------
London Perl Mongers
Home Page: http://london.pm.org
Meetings: http://london.pm.org/meetings/
Contact Email: dave at dave.org.uk

London PM are a group who are dedicated to the encouragement of all things
Perl-like in London. This months meeting is a bit special as we toast Dave
Cross for all the hard work he's putting in to the running of London PM and
announce the new shiny leader who is going to allow Dave to have a life
again. The new leader may be a stuffed toy... Come along to find out more.

This months social meeting is being held on the 13th of December in the
Three Cups. A map and directions can be found on the London PM web page.

-----------------------------------
Lonix
Home Page: http://www.lonix.org.uk/
Contact Email: info at lonix.org.uk

The aim of Lonix is quite straightforward although it comprises of
many points. The overall aim is to unite many Linux individuals in and
around London. Below is a list of aims, but you as a member may not
agree to all of them. (Hopefully at least one!)

Meet like minded individuals to share ideas and discuss opinions.
To provide a Linux force in London to persuade the industry to opt
for a more Linux friendly approach to their services and products.
To assist users with problems, providing advice and physical help, do Linux
advocacy and drink too much.

Date Wed 5 Dec 2001
Time 6.00pm onwards
Place Red Lion Pub, 14 Kingley Street, WC1 (Tel 020 7734 4985)
Nearest Tube Oxford Circus/Piccadilly Circus
Contact Tushar Joshi
Contact Number: 0208 992 7008/07980 224 772
E-mail: E-mail

Kicking off the Christmas spirit with a Lonix meeting in the Red Lion pub.
We'll be meeting upstairs, food will be decided on the day but will most
likely be somewhere nearby. After closing time, we'll migrate over to
'Nothing But Blues' on the same road to enjoy some live music.

Note that this blurb is from Lonix itself and I (Dean) in no way encourage
the playing of blues music. Also for those of you who are bored go and look
at the new lovely brown site.

-----------------------------------
GLLUG
Home Page: http://gllug.linux.co.uk/

Greater London Linux User Group's (GLLUG) purpose is to bring together
London's Linux users so they can share experiences and expertise (or
revel in their inexperience and quest for expertise), to chat about
the state of the (Linux) world, that sort of thing.

We try to arrange meets so that there is space for users to set up
their equipment, so you are welcome to bring your kit along, either to
go through the problems you are having or just to show off what you
are up to.

There are no formalities to attending a GLLUG meeting, no subscription
or entry fees, you can just turn up on the day. We welcome and
encourage new and inexperienced users, young and old.

Due to the high turnout GLLUG meetings are less frequent than the
other user groups, you can get notification of the next meeting either
on the home page or through this mail but the next meet will probably not
be until November. The mailing list however will stay as busy as
usual.

-----------------------------------

SAGE-WISE
Home Page: http://www.sage-wise.org/
Map: http://www.sage-wise.org/lecture/directions.html

SAGE-WISE is the System Administrators Guild for Wales, Ireland,
Scotland and England, hence the "-WISE" suffix. Our aim is to form a
professional association for system administrators in the UK and
Ireland.

But what is a system administrator?

Professional system administrators, however, often look after large
numbers of computers and networks - they are the people who keep the
systems running, repair faulty discs, install and debug new software,
upgrade existing systems, and generally take care of the computing
resources needed for their users to perform their tasks effectively. A
shorter definition is "A system administrator is one who manages
computers not solely for his or her own use". If you know the joys and
frustrations of this then feel free to come and visit one of our
meetings.

This months SAGE-WISE meeting is on Tuesday 11th December 2001
and the details are:

Speaker: No speaker this month - it's a Christmas Social