[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Dec 13 18:00:12 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 04:02:00PM +0000, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2001 13:35, you wrote:
> > 2] In earlier versions of dos and windows, when you had two drives,
> > the first partition on the second drive was D: even with more than
> > one primary partition on the first drive, but under 95, they seem
> > to letter all the primary partitions on the first drive before
> > lettering the second drive. So all the shortcuts to programs I had
> > on my second drive had to be changed from D: to E: and some
> > programs just refused to work after the change. ?Grr.
> Hang on.
> C: = first primary (fat16/32) partition on first-drive
> D: = first primary partition on second-drive OR if no primary
> partition on second-drive, then first logical partition on
> first-drive OR if not either of these then first logical partition on
> second drive...

Hmm.. it also doesn't make sense that "the shortcuts changed" for win95,
implying I had shortcuts in Win3.1, but no-one seemed to notice so we'll
just ignore that. ;)

Umm.. I'm trying to remember what actually did happen..  It was definately
the primary partition on the second drive that changed letter after changing
logical partitions on the first drive to primary ones.  At least I'm pretty
sure it was, since D: was my windows "apps" partition which changed to E:.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but the incident was around six years ago now.

Pete