[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Dec 10 11:33:24 UTC 2001

On Friday, 7 Dec 2001, Ian Northeast wrote:
>There is an RFC which states this but it is out of date. There is no
>such thing as a network class any more and any network number can be
>used with any network mask (as long as you stay out of the multicast
>etc. ranges). So using 192.168/16 or 10.x.x/24 are both perfectly valid.

But note that this is not what I was suggesting; 192.168.0.0/16 has
the dubious distinction of being an even stupider pick for a home
network than 192.168.0.0/24.

[Also, I see nothing wrong with the continued use of the terms 'class
A, B, C' to refer to /8, /16 and /24 networks - wherever in the
address space they are.]

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk