[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 10:32:32 UTC 2001

> > I also have a partition under Windows which fdisk says is "Win Ext'd
> > (LBA)" (type f) - can I mount this and what switch do I need (I've
> > looked through "man mount" but can't find it).
>
> I would not trust what the DOS/Windows fdisk told me. Windows
> 95 fdisk
> used to report NTFS as HPFS (OS/2's filesystem, which NTFS is
> based on)
> and refuse to show or delete non-FAT extended partitions.

This was from the linux version of fdisk, it says the Windows partitions
are:
HPFS/NTFS		7
Win Ext'd (LBA)	f

> > What would be the best filesystem to use that works r/w
> with both OSs if
> > I re-format the partition? VFAT?
>
> Both Windows 2000 and Linux can safely read and write FAT32, and many
> more systems can do FAT 16 (Windows 95, NT4). Only problem is
> that FAT does not understand file ownership or permissions, so you not

> be able to use them.

I don't really need file ownership / permissions so I think I'll go with
creating a FAT32 partition in Windows. I'll look into whether the "Win
Ext'd (LBA)" is really FAT32 in disguise or something.

VFAT partitions can only be created in Linux but are mountable by
Windows, is this right?
Do they offer any advantages over FAT32?

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk