[Gllug] Re: [Gllug] Fancy a challenge for the Installfest?

Andre Newman gllug at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 00:10:13 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 11 Dec 2001 11:41 pm, you wrote:

> > Unfortunatelly I don't have a keyboard for it. I tried one with Windows
> >  keys but it didn't work properly (and now I know that it works). And

Some do, some don't. A problem with implementations of AT compatablity mode
on some keyboards (according to an ex Acorn employee friend, author of some
of the BIOS equiv. code). Try a few I've had some PS2's working on both a
Risc PC and an A500.

> The mouse is a trickier issue - Acorns use, and have always used, their own
> style of mouse.

Atomwide in Orpington used to stock them maybe Aleph One, CJE Micros, or
Castle might be able to help (Google should know where their websites live).
I have a spare (but not very nice) clone one here but getting it to you may
be difficult.

> I suspect they may be a bit pricey though.

The clone mice are usually ~£15 but a real one may be ~£30, was the last time
I bought one. I'm told it's possible to use a PS/2 splitter cable to plug the
mouse and keyboard in and set the system to expect a PS/2 mouse. I've never
been able to get this to work with the keyboard plugged in! A mouse is
required (I think) to change the system mouse setting (I'm happy to be
corrected)! Anyway the Acorn mouse is a "real" direct pulse device like the
old Microsoft Bus mouse, way nicer than a PS/2 even at high refresh rate.

> > In normal circumstances I'd be the first in enjoying playing with it
> > but I don't have time nor resources. In the last LinuxExpo in Olympia
> > the guy in the ARM stall told me that Linux couldn't be put on the
> > ACORN A4000 but now looking at the internet I've seen it possible. Any

There is an Aleph One distribution which is supposed to be pretty good maybe
that is what won't work on it. If it does work this is supposed to be a
no-brainer install.

> Have fun playing with it. If you can't get Linux, Risc OS is still a damn
> fine OS (though not open source :( ). However if you want to get rid of it,
> feel free to get rid of it in my direction :-)

If you get hooked on the desktop filer, very elegant simple design take a
look at the ROX project (Risc OS on X) which is a Risc OS filer as an X
desktop & filer.

I would offer assistance as I have a couple of Acorns here & have never
gotten round to installing Linux but it's doubtful I'll make it to the
installfest.

Regards

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk