[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Dec 12 11:47:29 UTC 2001

>Surely other OSs must have had the need for multiple partitions before
>MS thought of it?

Yes, but not on PC hardware. Sun hardware has traditionally had 8
parititions (or slices as they call them) per disk, of which 7 are
usuable by the end user (by convention, one occupies the whole disk).

Note that you don't have to use PC partitioning under Linux. You can
(and in fact, I do) have other partitioning schemes. The only exception
is the boot disk, which I believe may confuse some bootloaders if you
don't use the native paritition type.

Tet

PS. The reason I have different partition types is that I migrated my
    home server from a Sparc Linux box to an Intel Linux box. Rather
    than mess around with copying files over, I just moved the disks
    from one machine to another. Gotta love SCSI, and Linux, and the
    fact that ext2 survives an endianness change on the host machine...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk