[Gllug] Ximian Connector

The Flying Hamster hamster at korenwolf.net
Wed Dec 5 12:33:41 UTC 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 11:24:47AM -0000, Axel Segebrecht wrote:

> >>I still don't get it why people would buy the Connector when it's
> >>"easier" to setup a Linux server and clients to handle all they want to
> >>do?
> >
> > That's because you're falling into the classic Linux advocate trap.
> > Just because you or I could do it, doesn't mean that the target
> > market for the product can.
>
> Isn't the connector something that sits between Evolution and
> Exchange? If so, why would someone replace their M$ wks to Linux
> (to run Evolution) but not their servers?

Who says they're replacing anything.  A classic example is me, to get
at outlook at the moment I need some form of terminal server
connection.  Being able to get at the shared stuff in exchange without
having to fire off rdesktop and log in (again) would be a big plus.

> > Is it easier to buy Ximain Connector, or to decommission your
> > existing, perfectly functional (in the eyes of management, who seem
> > blind to the downtime) Exchange server, install Linux on it, and
> > configure it as a mail server, with limited in-house Unix expertise?
> > Most companies are just going to choose to shell out the 50 quid...
>
> hm.. still don't get why people with an existing M$ solution would get
> Ximian? If it's just sys.admins and their few wks I think they (Ximian)
> will not be making enough money to make it feaseable for them... .

However given that the per head cost of various M$ software is rising
being able to remove some users from the M$ licensing trap might start
to make migrating users to a free platform with the connector to make
the link back a viable solution.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>      http://www.korenwolf.net/
Most people stumble over the truth, now and then, but they usually

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk