[Gllug] vi indenting

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 16:06:36 UTC 2001

> Shoot me, tabs suck :)
>
> Of course, we can make stupid "xxx rules, yyy sucks" comments all day
> and nobody wins, it should be clear that you can't be so cut and dry,
> it's mostly personal preference and operating evironment.

Just thinking, with spaces, you specify exactly how the file should look
and anyone using any text editor with a fixed width font will see the
file as you intended.

With tabs though, a vital bit of information is missing, you file isn't
well-defined because the person reading it has to guess what tab setting
to use in order to see it as the author saw it.

If you only ever use tabs to indent beginnings of lines and never put a
space next to a tab I guess this doesn't really matter (e.g. for C
programming) but for lining up /etc/fstab or similar config files or for
doing little tables in a text file using tabs can really mess things up.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk