[Gllug] LDP licence and Debian.

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Dec 10 11:32:07 UTC 2001

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 12/10/01, 5:50:34 AM, William Palfreman <william at palfreman.com> wrote
regarding Re: [Gllug] LDP licence and Debian.:

> This would have hit my own suspicion of democracy and constitutions in
> general - I much prefer the informal/peer acclaim/elite approach of, say,
> Linux kernel development.  If people don't like it they can fork off;

And the Debian team can say the same to you, for the same reasons.

The reason the kernel team can be so offhand is precisely because they
are protected by the GPL, which is something they benefit from and not
something they created.  License development, maintenance and protection
is in itself an important task.  Free Software didn't happen by accident
which is something people might remember before slagging RMS, the GNU
foundation and related projects (e.g. Debian).

You can use Debian or any other Linux distribution as the basis for your
commercial activities.  You don't have to get involved in their Free
Software activism in any way.  But that activism is an important part of
keeping the software you use Free.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk