[Gllug] Learning Vi/Vim

harry postituk at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 22:24:58 UTC 2001

HI all
----------------------------

I am a newbie to Linux (I have been on the list a while but due to
circumstance I have never really got to grips with everything YET!!! ).
Luckily due to this experience I can take some propane induced heat. ;-)

I was completely confounded by Vi until I had the opportunity to sit with
someone who had the time and patience to teach me a few of the commands and
show me what is what. I now think that Vi/m is the best thing since sliced
bread, I find it easy simple and fast for a non touch typer. I know that a
lot of people instantly dismiss Vi as hard to use. My recommendation is to
wait until you have the opportunity to sit (pyhsicaly with someone) and ask
the questions to learn how to use this great tool. I am also looking forwad
to learning Emacs but I need the same environement as before,  I need someone
to show me. When on ones own its a pigs ear of a job trying to learn a text
editor + linux etc etc .

>From My point of view learning Vi has been a great experience, not just in
text editing but in regular expressions etc.

I am looking forward to learning Emacs and all the ins and outs. I have not
yet found a great tutorial for a newbie for either.  I have actually read a
lot of stuf on "Whats the best Vi or Emacs" and thankfully I found some
unbiased opinions. What I found was that amongst experts, on text that Vi was
faster than Emacs by far but for integrated tasks that Emacs wooped ass.

I have to admit that I have been reading beginning Linux Programming and they
are not fond of Vi due to its learning curve and use emacs instead. My
personal Opinion is to learn the smallest first "Vi" then learn "Emacs"
--

Harry Jackson

26
"There is no such whetstone, to sharpen a good wit and encourage a will to
learning, as is praise."
Roger Ascham

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk