[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 10:21:34 UTC 2001

> Well if you're being picky about it, vfat is the name of the
> filesystem,
> and you can put that filesystem on any partition you like, regardless
> of the partition type flag. There's nothing to stop you having a vfat
> filesystem on a Linux parittion (or, indeed an Amoeba or HURD
> or LANstep
> parition, or any other of their wierd and wonderful types available)

I'm a little unclear what the distinction between partition and
filesystem actually is.

Is the partition scheme the more low-level hardware/BIOS dependent part
that has to be understood by the BIOS in order to boot, and the
filesystem is totally a software thing that is just how the files are
stored?

I notice that Linux has "Linux" and "Linux swap" partition types but
that the former can have ext2, ext3, reiserfs etc filesystems on them,
whereas Windows seems to have one partition type for each filesystem.
Could Linux not have a "swapfs" on a "Linux" partition - does it really
need a separate "Linux swap" partition type?

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk