[Gllug] My and my malloc() problems....

Darran D. Rimron-Molloy darran at rimron.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 10:48:32 UTC 2001

> You seem awful sure the machine isn't running out of memory (ram !=
> memory) - how do you know? Linux overcommits, so if malloc were failing
> you would be _seriously_ worried.

Machine is running 2.2.19, a couple of copies of bash, an NFS server and a
copy of SSHD. It has 2 gig of SWAP and a gig of physical. I hope it's not
out of RAM/Memory

Even FREE lists obsecene quantities of free mem. :)

> The only way I can think that this might make a difference is if you're
> running threaded/event-driven code - the sleeps could be preventing some
> memoery error.

Code is event driven but single threaded.

> However, you're not providing any base case which fails (always debug an
> error to the smallest area of code possible), nor even saying how it
> fails. Compiling -g and running in gdb ought to give you a good idea of
> why the code is failing if you exhaust every other possibility.

Compiling with -g actually fixes the problem (Confused, I am!) - I am going
to carry on developing until it comes back, and then debug it.... hard to
debug without -g it seems....

And I just took a crashcource in gdb and now my head hurts :)

	-Darran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk