Kent LUG (was Re: [Gllug] Linux Roadshow)

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Mon Dec 10 20:10:19 UTC 2001

Hi Andre,

> I wondered that as well, after moving to Tunbridge Wells it's a little
> expensive to pop into London for the Lonix meets, something closer would
> be good.
> > someone to take it on and make it work. The contact person is a friend
> > of mine - he set it up a couple of years back, linking into a project
> What sort of help does he need, or is it getting a critical mass of
> geeks that's the problem?

The following are the comms between me and the current owner ... might
answer some of your questions :-)

Hi John,

I am a new to Linux (though an experienced Windows professional [MCSE]) and
currently trying to learn as much as I can about it. I joined the GLLUG
discussion list where a friend of yours (Wulf) let me know about your Kent
Linux User Group (Bromcom). Wulf said it was waiting for someone to "take
it on" ... I'd guess I was too new to offer help in that respect unless
it's just list admin.

Anyway ... I just wanted to know if it was likely anything was going to
happen with the list?

Hi James

The Kent LUG is due to get moving soon, but the people who are lined up to
take over the name and start the group are tied up with a move right now. I
am expecting progress in the new year, when issues like getting a mailing
list set up and homing the website will probably come up. If you have the
ability to help out there, I'd be happy to pass on your email address to
the lugmasters. Alternatively, if you are more interested in joining the
list, I can add you to the list of people who want to know when it starts.

Hi John,

> The Kent LUG is due to get moving soon, but the people who are lined
> up to take over the name and start the group are tied up with a move
right now.

OK :-)

> I am expecting progress in the new year, when issues like getting a
mailing
> list set up and homing the website will probably come up. If you have
> the ability to help out there, I'd be happy to pass on your email
> address to the lugmasters. Alternatively, if you are more interested in
joining the
> list, I can add you to the list of people who want to know when it
starts.

Well, as you might expect, I am not au fait with the UNIX/Linux side of
things but I maintain a web site already and if time is needed to
administer the list then I don't mind ... hey, I might even learn something
:-)

To Andre:

Hope that helps you some. I am considering joining them but I have to think
about it ...

> Critical mass of Geeks, sounds dangerous!

Indeed :-)

James

James C. Rocks,
Technical Development Consultant
Archway House,
Canary Wharf.
EQUANT
E-Mail:    james.rocks at equant.com (work)
Phone:   07771-767405 (mobile), 0207-5226856 (work)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk