[Gllug] Queen dismisses Linux

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Thu Dec 6 21:24:17 UTC 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Well at the risk of being branded a traitor ... the Royal Family are hardly
> well known for making good decisions are they? One has only to think of
> Lady Diana, that old sl at pper of Andrew's and Edwards brief flirtation with
> the marines (& more besides) :-)

This has nothing to do with the Queen or the Royal Family.  One of the
really disgraceful things about this country is that the Queen etc. have
a tiny fraction of the freedoms everyone else takes for granted.  These
are people who every aspect of their lives controlled - what speech to
give, whether to have a job or not, where to go, who to marry, where to
live. Mouthing government propaganda for the rest of their lives, and
not even being able to vote.

In this case this will just be part of the Government wide purge of
Linux because Blair doesn't understand the technology and enjoys Bill
Gates' flattery - someone he senses is more important in the scheme of
things than him.  As I recall the royal IT people were reported as using
Linux from before 2.0: probably all left in disgust as some ministry
type (Durham, 2:1 PPE, emails direct from Word) outsourced them to an NT
only service company[0] who, to be totally fair, could well have got to
be favoured supplier by political donations or going to the right
parties.  It can't be on technical grounds.

Given what we know about the Government's IT policies, (www.gateway.gov,
citizens) I think we should be pretty sceptical about this.

[0] Aren't they all? I have no idea why.  In house operations tend to
be strictly Solaris/Linux instead.

Bill.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk