[Gllug] SiS 7012 and sound

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Dec 4 20:56:10 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:40:58AM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:09:49PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 03:38:28PM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:
> > > So, here's a good one. The OSS drivers (downloaded from
> > > www.opensound.com) work fine with my SiS 7012 soundcard (built into my
> > > work Athlon's mobo), but the equivalent modules from the linux source
> > > tree completely fail to work properly, despite not reporting any
> > > errors when insmodding the relevant modules.
> > >
> > > Anyone had any experience getting this soundcard to work, and want to
> > > share? On the (crap) SiS website there aren't any links to a relevant
> > > sound module, which is a bit of a hinderance. Googling brings up an
> > > interminable discussion about SiS being a bit difficult writing and
> > > delivering their drivers. Grief.
> >
> > My lappy has a SiS 7018 which works nicely with the kernel's standard
> > trident driver.  Maybe worth a try.
>
> Was indeed worth a try, but sadly it failed to work. FWIW, I've
> managed to get the following modules inserted into the kernel without
> a word of complaint (which suggests that they should be alright):
>
> sms at lauren:/usr/src/linux$ sudo lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
> ad1848                 16736   0  (unused)
> mpu401                 18944   0  (unused)
> ac97_codec              9696   0
> uart401                 6176   0
> sound                  54796   0  [ad1848 mpu401 uart401]
> soundcore               3684   2  [sound]
>
> I've removed the lines that aren't of any relevance, FWIW. After
> poking about on the Net, I _think_ the correct driver is the ac97 one,
> but no joy so far. Still get errors like this one, though:
>
> sms at lauren:/usr/src/linux$ mpg123 /home/sms/mp3/fats\ domino\ -\ there\ goes\ my\ heart\ again.mp3
> High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
> Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
> Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
> THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
> Can't open default sound device!
>
> Which in turn indicates that something is awry.

lsmod on this machine reveals:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
trident                26624   1  (autoclean)
ac97_codec              9568   0  (autoclean) [trident]
soundcore               3492   3  (autoclean) [trident]

So I think both the ac97 _and_ the trident modules are actually needed for
the 7018.  The chipset is actually an sis630s which has an integrated 7018.

hth,
Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk