[Gllug] Windows -> Linux

Daniel Fairs d.fairs at cogtest.com
Thu Dec 6 09:23:31 UTC 2001

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience on migrating Windows desktops
to Linux. Our company is looking at reducing software licensing costs, and
moving to Linux is the obvious answer.

Naturally, however, The Management want to do a small-scale trial first,
with just one or two users. The main fileserver will remain NT4 for the time
being.

The Linux machines will be used for basic word processing, email, web
browsing, printing and so on.

Fortunately we don't run an Exchange mail server (phew).

Does anyone have any experience of overseeing this sort of thing? Any
hints/tips/gotchas? Distro recommendations? (I'd probably use RedHat, simply
because it's the one I'm most familiar with, though I was very happy with
SuSE in the 6.2 days.)

The workstations are all pretty old - P2 266 machines, with 64MB RAM, though
I can probably swing an upgrade on the memory front for each of them.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dan

Daniel Fairs | d.fairs at cogtest.com | +44 (0)20 77029000