[Gllug] Ximian Connector

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Wed Dec 5 12:11:36 UTC 2001

Hi,

an exchange server is likely to put you back £20,000+ and is integral to
applications like M$ project 2000 central server. it is or perceived to be
a must have in the corporate world. however not everyone in a company
needs these productivity packages and a smart suit will mix them with less
expensive options.  this is where the connector software will be useful or
on the desktops in data and contact centre.

If my old outfit was smart enough they would have most of their call
centres running Linux with just the office running M$ on the desktop but
they are not.

Ximain are smart the question is is there target market smart enough to
see the advantage.

In the long term I think marketing and sales strategies like these are not
the solution but as an intermediate solution they are a life line to
commercial open source companies.  The pure services model so often touted
I believe will only work when Linux and its ilk have a much larger market
share.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk