[Gllug] Ximian Connector

Axel Segebrecht axel.segebrecht at adamandeve.it
Wed Dec 5 11:24:47 UTC 2001

>>I still don't get it why people would buy the Connector when it's
>>"easier" to setup a Linux server and clients to handle all they want to
>>do?
>
> That's because you're falling into the classic Linux advocate trap.
> Just because you or I could do it, doesn't mean that the target
> market for the product can.

Isn't the connector something that sits between Evolution and
Exchange? If so, why would someone replace their M$ wks to Linux
(to run Evolution) but not their servers?

> Is it easier to buy Ximain Connector, or to decommission your
> existing, perfectly functional (in the eyes of management, who seem
> blind to the downtime) Exchange server, install Linux on it, and
> configure it as a mail server, with limited in-house Unix expertise?
> Most companies are just going to choose to shell out the 50 quid...

hm.. still don't get why people with an existing M$ solution would get
Ximian? If it's just sys.admins and their few wks I think they (Ximian)
will not be making enough money to make it feaseable for them... .

Axel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk