[Gllug] SCSI questions

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Tue Dec 18 13:32:36 UTC 2001

On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 12:50, mallum wrote:
> Im a newbie when it comes to scsi and am really unsure on how to
> proceed. I been trudging through various online pdf's which out much
> success. Anyone give me a clue on whats likely to be the problem ?
> Would the drive not spin up if the scsi chain was not terminated ?

The drive probably wouldn't spin up, no.

If you have swappable drive bays, does that mean you have a proper SCSI
backplane fitted, or is there still a cable fitted that links each of
the units? You need to make sure that both ends are terminated (the
controller will usually terminate it's end), and if it's an active
terminator you need to make sure the LED is lit.

The best thing to do is to try to attach other things to the chain, or
the drive to another chain. Attaching other devices will show you
whether or not the chain is faulty, as will attaching the drive
elsewhere. See if the HD is making any noise whatsoever - usually, even
if they're dead, they make some noise and often show up on SCSI chains
anyway (even by virtue of the SCSI BIOS taking longer to detect their
ID).

Cheers,

Alex.