[Gllug] Like vnc, only text

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sun Dec 16 18:28:31 UTC 2001

Anyone,

Is there any kind of tool like vnc for consoles? I basically want
remote, programmatic access to a tty on a server. I could log in
remotely, but that's not quite what I'm after - something's running on a
virtual terminal, and I want to poke my nose in from time to time and
possibly issue keystrokes.

Now, I have a vague solution that I can code, based on a (fictitious :)
Perl module called Alex::Screen (or something ;) to connect to various
screen sessions on a (remote) server - obviously, setting up the initial
terminals as screens rather than just running commands at a prompt is
fine, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of an easier way of doing
it.

Perhaps I can access the tty device? I'm not really in favour of doing
this particularly, but I would be interested in any relevant IOCTLs (I
can't see any, though). Would anyone else be interested in a tool such
as that I'm describing? Anyone knowing of one/using one - I would be
grateful if you could enlighten me ;)

Cheers,

Alex.