[Gllug] uk gov report on the state of oss

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 11:44:45 UTC 2001

A lot of people still talk about how Linux is not usable on the desktop.

People used dos and locoscript in the past, they used windows3.1 neither
of which stopped secretaries typing letters.

The US Navy has found however that Powerpoint seriously degrades
productivity (with people putting swishy graphics in instead of
content).

Look at what Corel did to their Linux.  You would turn it on, get to a
desktop without a password and start browsing or using any of the many
office programs available.

RAM is now £45 for 512MB at dabs, now tell me star office is a problem.

I do not think that Corel Office is any less stable that M$ Office was
two years ago, everybody still used it.

This is not me trying to preach to the converted, it is me totally
misunderstanding why people consider Linux not ready for the desktop ;-)

Have fun.
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk