[Gllug] Total Newbie

kim at aldigital.co.uk kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 14:49:24 UTC 2001

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:16:48PM -0000, anwar at druidglade.co.uk wrote:
> Hi there,

=) *waves*

> I am a total newbie at linux.
> For the past 3 days, I have been trying unsuccessfully
> to install Red Hat 7.0 on my Windows ME machine.
> I partitioned the hard drive as the book said, did all
> the needed configs (hopes) and I still can't get linux
> up and running. After about the 8th attempt, I have given
> up trying to run linux. Does anyone live near Morden, Surrey
> or is there someone i can travel to with machine in tow for a
> talk through. I'd love to learn to use linux but seems I am doomed.

on first glance, i would suspect you will probably need to make a
new partition for linux. two actually, one for the system and one
for virtual memory (swap space).

IIRC redhat has the feature(?) to install on UMS-DOS(?) partition.
but i dont know if thats compatible with a FAT32 (windows me)
partition... HTH.

yours,

kim
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     | "Time is an     |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk