[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

Robin.Cannings at arm.com Robin.Cannings at arm.com
Thu Dec 6 11:21:57 UTC 2001

In that case bind 9 compiled without the secure update option and version 3
of the isc dhcp server should work happily together.
I've only seen a couple of oddities with this setup  -
. fqdn comes out as  host.domain.com.domain.com (tends to be people who
believe that the fqdn is the host name)
. with bind 8.9.3 you had to enable the dns server to talk to the dhcp
server (a couple of lines in named.conf )
however under bind 9 they seem to be happy (not sure why though!)

Cheers
Rob

Robin Cannings                                       robin.cannings at arm.com
System Administrator                             tel:
ARM Ltd
http://www.arm.com

|--------+---------------------------------------->
|        |          Jonathan Dye                  |
|        |          <jonathan.dye at automationpartne|
|        |          rship.com>                    |
|        |          Sent by:                      |
|        |          gllug-admin at linux.co.uk       |
|        |                                        |
|        |                                        |
|        |          06/12/2001 10:10              |
|        |          Please respond to gllug       |
|        |                                        |
|--------+---------------------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                            |
  |      To:     gllug at linux.co.uk                                                                                                             |
  |      cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     Re: [Gllug] DHCP & DNS                                                                                                   |

At 10:51 06/12/01 +0000, you wrote:

>If your linux box is a workstation I'm presuming you are using dns and
dhcp
>under w2k.
Nope, server is linux.  I want to plug in both linux and windows clients to
the network and have the dns entries updated.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk