[Gllug] whoah

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Dec 4 17:08:19 UTC 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 10:46:48PM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 17:52, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > Actually, I have a similar problem with my laptop.  The hwclock is ok, but
> > when running and not suspended, the system clock slips by some phenominal
> > amount - so much so that ntpd wipes its hands.  Can anyone suggest what the
> > root of this problem is and any idea how to solve it?  I'd rather actually
> > fix what's causing the problem rather than just use ntp or chrony or
> > whatever to keep fixing the time.
>
> Depends what the problem is. Sounds like dodgy int0 timer. You should
> find that if you halt the laptop, and restart from cold, the clock will
> behave itself: set it to the correct time, and it will keep proper time.
> Once re-animated after a suspension, though, you find the clock is
> running about one-fifth the speed you expect.

That seems to describe the problem.

> If that describes your problem exactly (make sure first!), then you need
> to compile a custom kernel and apply the attached patch. Go to your
> linux source directory, and do a 'patch -l -p0 < timer-patch', and it
> will change one line in one file (apm.c). Compile & use that kernel.

Assuming that should be "#define" in the patch, I've applied it.

Well, I've just got around to rebooting, and it's still lagging time. :(
But not as much now.  I might try tweaking ntp so it will keep it on track.

> Also, you need to know that Win9x and Linux store the time differently:
> Windows expects the BIOS to be in the local timezone, whereas Linux
> expects it to be UTC by default. In this instance, you have a problem,
> because you're liable to lose/gain hours switching back and forth
> between the two OSes. The preferably solution is to stop using Windows.
> A work-around is to tell Linux your bios stores the time in the local
> timezone.

I have Win2k installed but I rarely boot into it.  In fact I think I've used
it maybe twice since install (to play Total Annihilation).  Both store time
in UTC, but I guess in London that makes little difference anyway! :)
Although it has seen several different timezones..

Thanks,
Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk