[Gllug] Please Can We Stop! (was "while we're flaming anyway...")

Karen Hanna Kruzycka Vixen at Lspace.org
Mon Dec 10 16:14:42 UTC 2001

On Monday 10 Dec 2001 3:51 pm, Pete wrote:
> FWIW, I appended the <rant> thingos so that in the case anyone was offended
> at my way of pointing out that the most optimal fix was not used by James,
> they could just go "Ah that's just pete mumbling about some crap again" but
> it seems the reverse effect was had and their use actually caused the
> offense.  My culture (I'm Australian) is a little different to yours (a
> little blunter perhaps?) so you'll have to allow me a little slack with my
> lingo.  But I don't like to offend, especially when I'm a guest in your
> country (although I plan to stay for a while).

I suspect that anyone who has substantial experience with mailing lists or
Usenet would have interpreted the <rant> tags as you intended - i.e. "this is
a rant, don't take it personally".

I don't find Australian bluntness offensive - the beer, maybe, but not
the bluntness.

</troll> :o)

Karen/Vodka Vixen

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk