[Gllug] Please Can We Stop! (was "while we're flaming anyway...")

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Dec 10 14:30:02 UTC 2001

On Monday, 10 Dec 2001, James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:
>FYI the entire quote was:
>><rant>
>>For future reference, you may find it easier not to reinstall
>>after such a minor hardware change.  Reinstallation (and rebooting
>>for that matter) is almost never necessary with linux.  I (for one)
>>find it frustrating when someone asks "How do I reconfigure linux
>>to use a usb mouse?" when the documentation is plenty good enough
>>for this, but that's nothing to the frustration encountered when
>>I hear that someone has gone and reinstalled after such a change.
></rant>
>Please note the use of "<rant>" & </rant>" and THEY are what I took
>exception to!

Oh, come on. None of that except the stuff I did quote could possibly
be interpreted as directed at you.

What it comes down to is that you saw some useful advice with a
complaint that people are not generally aware of that advice - a
complaint that wasn't directed at you, but would not have been unfair
if it was, since you weren't aware of it - and got a massive wedgie
over it.

>secondly I maintain a copy of every single posting made on this list since
>I joined partly because I don't understand some of it (yet)

Including, presumably, the URL at the bottom of _every_ message
providing a link to the full archives.

>Now ... can we please leave this f**kin' subject alone?

If you want to drop a subject, you'll have to resist the urge to have
the last word. As soon as you drop it, so will I...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk