[Gllug] vi indenting

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Wed Dec 19 09:48:19 UTC 2001

>Do you have any idea how annoying that is when a file is indented by
>people with their tabstop set to different values?

Probably almost as annoying as it is when a file is indented with
differing numbers of spaces, I'd imagine. For natural language
texts, then sure, indent with spaces, but I've yet to see a single
valid argument (including jwz's) for indenting code with anything
but tabs. Maybe when you've had to work on code that's indented
with a mix of 2, 3, 4 and 5 spaces in the same file, you'd agree.
I have, all by different authors, of course, and it wasn't a pleasant
experience.

>traditional vi's habit, in optimize mode, of converting single spaces
>in the middle of a line into tabs doesn't help here

Hmmm. In 14 years of using vi, I've yet to provoke it to do this. But
then, I can't recall ever meeting a vi that had optimize set by default,
and I can't think why anyone would want to explicitly enable it, either.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk