[Gllug] Linux To MS Networking

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 10:16:43 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 19:11, James.Rocks at equant.com wrote:
> Hi Jim,

no mean feat in terms
> of migrating :-(
>
> RTFM is a good idea 'tis true but I'm impatient and want to try using Linux
> "in anger" to see if it is possible to do all that I can do on Win2K with
> reasonable ease ... I suspect I can (& potentially more) but it is going to
> take time to get oriented to it.

I gather that you are using SuSE.
My advice would be for you to install KOffice, and use that as an
alternative to MSOffice - I think we had some discussion yesterday
on the network diagramming tool, which might be of use?
Or StarOffice from Sun - your choice!

Also I'd advise you to have a look at Evolution as your email/to-do/
contacts manager etc. I know it is a bit heavy on the resources,
and will require downloading Gnome libraries,
but I'd guess that a Windows user would take to it very easily.

> > Take your time backing up the relatively simple config files so
> > you can go back to them. It is not a hard job even I can do it. :-)
>
> Question: can linux handle DLT (40Gb) tape drives and, if so, can it back
> up & restore data to an MS server across a network?

Yes.
I would advise you to look at Arkeia  http://www.arkeia.com
Arkeia is free to back up 1 Linux server, and two workstations.
Have a look at 'Compatibility' then 'Tape drives'
You should get the month's free trial on the paid-for
version and try that out.

Give me a shout if you need help installing it.

There are loads of alternatives, including the free (as in free beer)
Amanda.

John H

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk