[Gllug] NAT & VoIP

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Mon Dec 31 12:33:47 UTC 2001

Unfortunately neither of these suggestions is an option. Using the
ip_masq_h323 module I should be able to run calls across the NAT. I may be
able to configure openMCU as a proxy gatekeeper/gateway (I haven't figured
out how yet). I have very few options beyond the firewall though. I'm using
BT ADSL so the IP changes occasionally and there's only one of it; NAT is a
must (2 - 4 computers use the link at any time); and my housemate requires
all of this be very simple to use for himself and his similarly
non-technically inclined friends. I've made some headway by sniffing the
network to find the address of the gateway his software uses; but there's
still the issue of identification of the proxy to the gatekeeper and my
housemate to the proxy...

I've done some reading on the topic. The ip_masq_h323 module isn't designed
to support gatekeeper stuff. On second thought I think the error message
below should read 'Gatekeeper not registered'. A gateway is a different
beastie from a gatekeeper apparently.

At the moment the best plan I can come up with is to install openMCU on the
smoothwall box and use it as a proxy. I'm still trying to figure out exactly
how to do that. I don't like this solution and I'm considering how practical
it would be for me to extend the ip_masq_h323 module to fiddle gatekeeper
type packets. At the moment I'm pretty confused on this subject - the h.225
protocol seems to get fiddled by the module; and that seems to be the
relevant protocol.

If anyone can point me to a good article on the hooks used for IP
masquerading modules I'd greatly appreciate it. Actually just somewhere to
go where I could find more information would be a great start. This is a
very steep learning curve (VoIP; the finer points of IP masquerading; kernel
hacking; and even solid C programming are new to me).

So where do people suggest I go? (try to keep it polite :-)

Thanks,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk