[Gllug] (OT) Basic Networking Query

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Sat Dec 8 10:33:58 UTC 2001

Andy Loates wrote:

> Wondering if any networking gurus on the list can help with some novice
> networking questions.
>
> I'm Moving house next week and want to change my SoHo set up from BNC peer
> to peer to a simple ethernet hub config.
>
> Was considering geting Netgear 8 port 100/10 switch, upgrading 2 NIC's to
> PCI Netgear 100mbps cards (Server & My workstation), keeping the lesser used
> boxes on 10mbps ISA cards.
>
> Looking around for cables i've seen that there is a considerable difference
> in cost between UTP (40 GBP / 305m) and Cat5 UTP (130 GBP / 305). Is there a

As Mike says, buy the Cat 5.

Also, there is a very nice little SoHo networking cabinet available,
for about 100 quid.
This is a nice inch wide cabinet, with smoked glass door.

Add in little patch panels for computer/phone/ISDN outlets,
and also a video patch panel.
They sell hubs and switches for bolting into it,
or just put your hub on a shelf inside.
A very nice looking unit for home use,.

I don't have the details to hand, but can get them on Monday.
I think Action sell them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk