[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 12:22:33 UTC 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 11:19:29AM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:32:32AM -0000, Paul Brazier wrote:

>> This was from the linux version of fdisk, it says the Windows partitions
>> are:
>> HPFS/NTFS		7
>> Win Ext'd (LBA)	f

> Don't go doing anything to the Extended partition!!
>
> The short story:  It actually contains other drives!!  They will disappear
> too if you remove the extended partition!!

Yes you're right.

The machine I was on had the extended partition as type 7 "Extended",
I've checked on another machine (RedHat 7.2) and it is type f
"Win95 Ext'd (LBA)". I think that the first was partitioned many
years ago under DOS or NT4.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk