[Gllug] My and my malloc() problems....

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 19:13:22 UTC 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk spake:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Darran D. Rimron-Molloy wrote:
>
>> Compiling with -g actually fixes the problem (Confused, I am!) - I am going
>> to carry on developing until it comes back, and then debug it.... hard to
>> debug without -g it seems....
>
> That sounds like something isn't correctly initialised....

Nonetheless, if a program works when compiled with -g and not when
compiled without it (with the same optimization flags &c) then it is a
bug in GCC, and should be reported (after stripping down the program to
a minimal testcase).

-g should have *no* effect on the code itself; the debugging sections
aren't even paged in unless you're running under a debugger.

Are you using GCC-3.0.x? If not, do things work better under GCC-3.0.3?

>> And I just took a crashcource in gdb and now my head hurts :)
>>
> BTDTGTTS

GDB crashing is nothing terribly special, I'm afraid :( but a program
crashing *outside of GDB* when compiled with -g, and not when compiled
without it, is a bug in GCC, and a fairly serious one IMNSHO.

--
`Mmm... Maybe I just like strong women that can hurt me?'
     --- Vadik, on female throat-cutting doctors

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk