[Gllug] Proxy server

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 23:09:23 UTC 2001

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 23:02, Bush, Jonathan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if some could help me. I have an M$ Proxy server which I
> would like to re place with one that runs on Linux. All I need it to do is
> redirecting all the companies web browse through one IP address. Can any one
> suggest a produce that is easy to install and configure. As I am new to the
> Linux market.

There are oodles of out of the box distro's which will allow you to do
this. Pizza box linux, should be able to do it.

It doesnt really matter which distrobution you install however, the
package you are looking for is called squid and it is the defacto
standard proxy for the linux market, if your from an MS background you
may wish to install webmin and the squid module for webmin, this will
give you a graphical front end for configuring squid which can make life
easier.

Personally I have found that debian works very well for this (No I am
not a debian advocate by default i did just find debian very good for
this kind of thing) just install the most basic debian installation,
and use apt-get to install squid and webmin. You are left with a very
minimal system with only one service: squid, and a configuration tool:
webmin.

If you wish to do anything fancy with port forwarding (if you want your
proxy to be transparent) you need to use (i think) ipchains/iptables.

I'm not to clued on iptables/ipchains but i'm sure somebody else on this
list can give you a much better idea.  Anyway, if you already have a
linux box install squid on it and you have a proxy server, if you need
to start from scratch, the way i would do it (And this is solely my
opinion, i doubt there is any 'correct' way to do it) is to install the
very minimal debian system and squid, it doesnt take long and is
generally hassle free.

Good luck and my appologies if i've confused you.

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk