[Gllug] NAT & VoIP

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 26 15:23:51 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I'm wondering about what sort of hoops I have to jump through to get VoIP
running across my Smoothwall box. I got Smoothwall as a way of avoiding
learning too much about firewalls, and then my housemate went and got a web
cam for Christmas... Bastard.

Now I need to make the blessed thing work. It's on a Mac so there's nothing
resembling useful diagnostics output from the client software. All I get is
'Gateway not registered'. Bummer.

The changes I've made to the Smoothwall/firewall:

- I've compiled the ip_masq_h323 module, insmod'ed it and there aren't any
errors I can find (I looked in /var/log/messages and there was just some
entry about someone port scanning again). The Smoothwall information page
shows the ip_masq_h323 module, and has (unused) next to it - this concerns
me.
- I've opened up every port I can find mentioned except for all the huge
ranges (just a few low ones there). No dice.
- I've set port forwarding as seems to required for incoming calls (direct
to the Mac; I don't use this stuff).
- I've turned on external access for all of the ports I've forwarded.

My next plan of action is to see if it's just the gateway service, or if
VoIP is fscked...

Recommendations, advice, pointers etc are all welcome. If there's anyone
with a web cam, net connection, and an evening to kill I could use some help
testing this too...

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk