[Gllug] Webcam for 20 quid

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 20:45:32 UTC 2001

I have just bought a Dexxa webcam and was hoping that someone could give
me a couple of pointers regarding the software installation.

There was no README file and the instructions on the website did not
work for me.

Those that have successfully installed the software could you please
clarify where the files should be placed and what should be done with
them.  I did not find it very clear.

It does not seem particular about where the files are extracted.  It may
also be as a result of the failure 'incompatible pointer type' - which
means little to me.  The kernel is 2.4.16

I get a failure as follows:

[root at oracletest linux]# cd dexxa/
[root at oracletest dexxa]# make
cc -I/usr/src/linux/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wnested-externs
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wuninitialized -Wno-unused  -DMODULE
-D__KERNEL__ -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -c dexxa.c
cc -I/usr/src/linux/include -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wnested-externs
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wuninitialized -Wno-unused  -DMODULE
-D__KERNEL__ -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h -c usbvideo.c
usbvideo.c: In function `usbvideo_register':
usbvideo.c:865: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
ld -r -o mod_dexxa.o dexxa.o usbvideo.o

[root at oracletest dexxa]# ./setup.sh
insmod: videodev: no module by that name found
insmod: usbcore: no module by that name found
insmod: usb-uhci: no module by that name found

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk