[Gllug] Learning Vi/Vim

Kieran Barry kieran at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 12:55:31 UTC 2001

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, David Damerell wrote:

> Personally, I think it would be best never to move to a nasty
> graphical IDE. As an alternative, Emacs can be made to understand your
> programming language, your preferred debugger, 'make', most version
> control systems, etc...

Speaking to the vi users on the list, how does your code-compile-debug
cycle work?

I've been diving through the vim docs, and found quickfix mode, which
appears to approximate to emacs' compile mode.  Is there similar in
other vi clones?  In particular, I'm interested in the ability to open
a file and jump to the error automatically, which quickfix seems to do.

Are there other cools features you guys can recommend?

Regards

Kieran

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk