[Gllug] Partitions

robin.c.smith at bt.com robin.c.smith at bt.com
Thu Dec 13 15:47:11 UTC 2001

see below

-----Original Message-----
From: t.clarke [mailto:tim at seacon.co.uk]
Sent: 13 December 2001 14:08
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: [Gllug] Partitions

---------------------------------------
Message from:-
Tim Clarke  (tim at seacon.co.uk)
Seacon Holdings plc Group, London, U.K.
Telephone: +44 (0)1474 320000
      Fax: +44 (0)1474 329946
---------------------------------------

Whilst the thread on partitions is running:-

a)  We use SCO Openserver here for our main database and it works fine with
four primary partitions on a disc, with each partition subdivided into
several 'divisions' each with its own filesystem. Each filesystem can be
given
a device 'name' so that one does not have to remember /dev/hda1 etc etc,
simply /dev/gendata (eg) /dev/archive (eg) etc etc.  Personally, I find this
superior to the linux partitioning system,  but ... horses for courses !

ln -s ?

b) with the SCO system one can dd a raw filesystem right over the top of
another one (on another disc usually) of the same size and then mount that
filesystem and use it normally. this is an easy way of backing-up, since you
can dd a complete filesystem to a spare division on a spare disc in
a fraction of the time it takes to backup to tape, remount and carry on
working, and then backup the copy-filesystem to tape later at your leisure.
Also handy for creating a 'test' filesystem for expermintation !
The question is:  will the scheme also work on linux across
primary/extended/
logical partitions ??

raw is raw , dd should work no matter which system is used, just make sure
the raw system you are copying to is same size or bigger than the  original.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk