[Gllug] Windows -> Linux

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Dec 6 12:37:11 UTC 2001

>Perhaps this is a little close to the bleeding edge for general deployment,
>but...
>
>I like the idea of almost locking people out of their own machines and
>having them SMB mount $HOME from the NT file server. I can see huge benefits
>for managing the system (virus scans, backups, you name it).

It's not at all bleeding edge. It's how Unix desktops have been run in
large organisations for donkeys years. I do it like that both at work
and at home (s/SMB/NFS).

All you need is some kind of network filesystem, and a means of having
shared authentication information over the network (eg., NIS, LDAP).

The only tricky part comes when you have laptop users, but for static
desktops, it's fine.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk