[Gllug] Setup for XFree86 4.1.0.1

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Dec 18 17:16:06 UTC 2001

Well, yes, I know that we sit next to each at work, but others might
find this helpful, cos it took a little poking. :)

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 03:43:39PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> I have just upgraded to to Debian testing, XFree86 4.1.0.1, 2.4.16 kernel
> and a new ATI Radeon VE Dual Head but seem unable to find the
> configuration tools for it I have searched dselect using a number of
> strings and read the documentation but can not find a reference to it
> could some one point me in the right direction.

First things first: remove your existing XF86Config and XF86Config-4
files to a place of safety. This allows you to roll back any changes
you make, and (more importantly) means that the config tools have to
start from scratch.

Now run "xf86cfg", which is the new graphical config tool. Get as much
working as you can, cos this is the easiest bit, and if you can do the
lot, then you're laughing.

Save the new XF86Config-4 file somewhere and fire up X. Now's your
chance to modify it by hand (for example, in this case, the mouse
config needed a little tweak, and the DefaultDepth needed to be set
properly) but you should be more or less set.

For the Real Men out there, you can still run X with -probeonly and
build the entire thing by hand, and occasionally this is a character
forming exercise (in the same way as other arduous and deeply
activities are claimed to be) but I'd really rather not.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Now I've got peanut butter in my armpit.  I'm wiping but it doesn't
seem to be coming out.  Do I take a shower or just fall asleep with

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk