[Gllug] Nutscrape tips

gllug at uncertainty.org.uk gllug at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Dec 4 20:38:10 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 10:37:52AM +0000, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> On 12/3/01, 6:32:25 PM, gllug at uncertainty.org.uk wrote regarding Re:
> [Gllug] Nutscrape tips:
>

> > But NN4 has poor style sheet suport - that's why people stuck with
> > tables for so long !
>
> Eh?  People still use tables, AFAIK.  They just use style sheets to make
> them look better.

tables are NOT designed for layout

they make pages very much harder to maintain

style sheets do in theory remove the need for most uses of tables

if what you are trying to do is arrange text and images - style sheets
allow you to specify what goes where.

I write php/perl etc to generate html - that has to fit into templates
designers have made.

As a result I really hate the mess tables make of html markup.

I have an example table free page on http://www.uncertainty.org.uk

try it in different browsers (NN4 uses an additional style sheet as it
can't hanlde floating sections properly)

The one thing I can't get working on it is getting all the center areas
the same hieght !

It seems likey that web design will move in this direction once CSS
compatible browsers are ubiquitous and designers learn how to use it!

--

Sean