[Gllug] Installing Linux software (Part II)

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 12 18:00:10 UTC 2001

Well this sort of thing is still being thrashed out. Some things that
require similar operation seem to take a long time to stabilise in Linux,
and this is one of them. Debian's plans seem to be the most stable because
they have a policy for what goes into a package... The problem here is that
everyone else uses RPM, so Debian policy has effect only so far as the
Debian distribution. The RPM problems extend beyond one distro (and that's
where the problems begin).

I mean, if you get the meta data from (say) the SuSE JDK 1.3.1 it'll give
you information about what it provides/what dependencies it can fulfil
(java, java2, etc). If you look at the 'official' SUN distribution of JDK
1.3.1 it will not provide anything, thus dependencies will not be fulfilled,
and errors will abound whenever you try to install something that depends on
Java ("But I just installed Java" you will say). These are both the same
binaries, they both provide a java environment, and they're both rpms. They
are not the same thing.

In the end the problem comes down to politics, entrenched interests, and
legacy investments. It may be fixed/migrated, but it will take quite a
while. I try to stick with a single distribution for packages, and that way
there's less of a problem. The more things depend on a package, I think the
wiser it is to stick closely to the distribution's own packages.

Richard

(Ok, so it's a bit wordy, but I think you get the idea)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk