[Gllug] Installing Linux software (Part II)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Dec 12 15:16:04 UTC 2001

On Wed 12 Dec, James.Rocks at equant.com made the following spurious claims:

> I was beginning to think it was all crystal clear ... does anyone else
> depair when it comes to installations or is it just me?

When using Red Hat, yes I just tend to give up.  You'll probably find
that the depended packages have dependencies all of their own so you
end up spending all your valuable time hunting down and installing
various shite until you end up with every package that can possibly be
installed on your system.

Moral of the story: use Debian.  apt-get works out all the
dependencies for you, grabs them and installs the lot in the right
order for you.  Sure it might not have a drag-and-drool interface but
it sure does solve the RPM dependency problem.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for
appointment by the corrupt few.

- George Bernard Shaw

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk