[Gllug] Shutting down Linux?

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Sun Dec 9 13:13:10 UTC 2001

Next question :-)

Windows (anything) can shutdown the OS from GUI straight to "off" and I was
about to ask if there was a way (or utility) that can completely shutdown
Linux from my GUI desktop. I then thought why not create an application
shortcut (symobolic link?) on the desktop that's command line was "shutdown
-r now" which worked fine (except it restarted because I used '-r' ... duh,
I think that should have been '-h'!) so that's OK.

However ... would such a command take precedence over all other Linux
activities i.e. what would happen if such acommand were run and some other
(important?) task were running? Is there a better way to achieve this?

James

James C. Rocks,
Technical Development Consultant
Archway House,
Canary Wharf.
EQUANT
E-Mail:    james.rocks at equant.com (work)
Phone:   07771-767405 (mobile), 0207-5226856 (work)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk