[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 11:41:50 UTC 2001

> Don't go doing anything to the Extended partition!!
>
> The short story:  It actually contains other drives!!  They
> will disappear
> too if you remove the extended partition!!

Thanks, I was wrongly thinking I had two windows partitions on that
machine,
I forgot one of them was the extended partition that holds all the linux
ones.

> ok, the long story is that the partition table is only
> capable of holding 4
> entries.  So, since around the transisition of MSDOS 3 or so,
> which made us
> reformat our drives anyway, MS introduced a scheme to allow as many
> partitions as possible.

Is this a real open standard?
Surely other OSs must have had the need for multiple partitions before
MS thought of it?
Is there an analogous extended partition that's purely linux/open
source?
So instead of having Linux in a DOS/Win extended partition you have
Windows in a Linux extended partition?

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk