[Gllug] Installing Stuff?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 09:35:07 UTC 2001

> > libcrypto and libssl are provided by openssl
> > many of the others can be found by taking the "lib" off the front, and
> > looking for a package called that. You can use rpm like so:-
> > $ rpm -q --whatprovides libssl.so.2
> > openssl-0.9.6b-8
> > the catch is if the rpm isn't installed..... it won't tell you.
> > Helpful, isn't it?
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> OK (tried that) ... if it says "no package installs libssl.so.2" then that
> presumably means rpm IS installed but can't find the library ... yes?
RPM maintains a database.  If it cannot find it it either has not been
installed by RPM and is not there or has been installed from source and
is therefore not in the rpm database.

> Does rpm look at all packages it knows to be installed on the system or
> does it look only in the current directory?
>
> > Probably the best way is to go to www.rpmfind.net. For example,
> > OpenSSH requires openssl - if you were to get an error
> > message indicating that libcrypto was needed, and didn't know where to
> find
> > it, you can go to rpmfind, look for OpenSSH under "packages by name",
> > and under the "requires" section, click on the libcrypto link. This'll
> give you
> > a list of packages that provide that library. Awkward, but at least
> workable.
>
> OK ... I'll try that (thanks to Sean for this too).
The files are probably available in the original distribution too - try
a mirror

ncftp ftp.mirror.ac.uk

cd /sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS

ls openss*

This will list all of the openssh and openssl packages.

Then it is just a matter of grabbing them and installing.

For Red Hat you will also want to have a look in the updates directory
which I think is in the linux directory in the above path.

> > RedHat really needs an apt equivalent. I'm in the (slow) process
> > of heading towards Debian, mostly for the superior package and
> > update managment.
>
> You mean you're going to switch over to Debian Linux or just their package
> manager? As far as I can tell there are 3 main types of binary (RPM, TAR/GZ
> & whatever Debian use) ... does YaST count as a package manager? What are
> the advantages of the Debian system?
>
> This also raises another question ... assuming one wants a standard, stable
> version of Linux (not really for gameplay) which version is best? Some
> magazines seem to suggest that Debian or Caldera are the "Rolls Royce's" of
> the Linux world.
>
> > Easiest way is by looking on rpmfind search http://rufus.w3.org
> > but for the record I have annotated your list with those that I know
>
> Thanks for the list I will look for the required files :-)
>
> > try man rpm
>
> A bewildering array of options ... er .. .thanks :-)
>
> > basicaly
> > -i means install
> > -U means upgrade (ie version 2 --> 3)
> > -F means freshen (ie version 2.1 --> 2.1)
> > -v means verbose (doesn't seem to make much difference)
> > -h means show hashes (gives you the nice little progress bar thingy)
>
> That helps thanks :-)
>
> > rpmfind.net is very helpful - often once you have found out what the
> > package is you may be able to find a copy locally
>
> So they don't keep an archive of the files (I'll check later)
>
> > some of these things may be for packges you don't need eg kdelibs-devel
> > -doc looks like a package of documentation aimed at developers - you
> > may just be able to leave out this package and so not have to
> > worry about its dependancies.
>
> But presumably it is not installing if it generates these messages or is it
> installing and highlighting the dependencies ... if so (assuming I run such
> commands from a terminal session) where does it install to? Does it (like
> Opera) place shortcuts (symbolic links) in the KDE menu, on the desktop or
> do I have to go find the application that runs it (and if so how do I know
> what it's called beyond an educated guess at, say, "kword").
>
> More importantly than that am I asking way too many questions?

Gets a bit quiet when that happens - certainly not that round here!

> > Often many of the dependencies are satisfied by one package so it may
> > not be as daunting as it seems. (libogg libvorbis libvorbisenc are all
> > probably part of the Ogg Vorbis sound file format - a replacement
> > for the patented mp3 format)

the libvorbis, libogg I believe is all in the same rpm which is in the
original distro again ls libogg* etc.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk