[Gllug] DHCP & DNS

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Dec 6 11:22:40 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 6 Dec 2001, Jonathan Dye wrote:
>I would like to set up a range of DHCP addresses on my home network so that
>I can just plug my machine (and vistors) in and they'll get access without
>recnfiguring them.
>The problem I have is with DNS.  I would like to be able to have my
>machines keep there hostnames with diffrent ip addresses. So if I plug my
>laptop in and it gets ip 10.0.0.5 then when I do
>host laptop.mynetwork
>I want to get 10.0.0.5

Don't use 10.0.0.0/8 as a home network.

That aside, for machines you regularly use, you could set up static
DHCP assignments using their MAC addresses; this is easily done with
the ISC dhcpd with sections like this;
        host foo.example.com {
		hardware ethernet 00:30:c1:c4:53:a0;
		fixed-address 192.168.101.23;