[Gllug] OMG

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Dec 4 19:17:34 UTC 2001

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jake Jellinek wrote:

> I've had limited success with konqueror and URL's like smb://machinename/
> Tends to get a bit freezy though... I'd like to know a better way to do it,
> a nice graphical folder-like FTP client perhaps and run a windows FTP
> server on the machine with files you need to share...

If you're going to go along that route, why not set up and NFS server and
do it that way instead? seems like a lot less hassle in the longer term.

> Oh, and although I hate it and find it less user friendly in the long run,
> people tend to get more excited by the lovely smooth look of Gnome on their
> desktops, so for those that still need persuasion sometimes this helps.

I think GNOME rulez personally, but there you go :)

> Of course, don't give anyone root password for their machine.

I just use System Imager and other stuff when these things happen. No
problem - can rebuild a "broken" laptop in 5 minutes :) Also, given the
way everything uses dhcp/nis/etc. one machine can be imaged straight on to
another and easily configured also in about 5 minutes.

> It's amazing  how quickly you can bugger up a Mandrake installation

Same applies to Debian of course, although Debian is IMO far superior.

Cheers,

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk